VERY LARGE TELESCOPE FORK STUDY
AMOS has studied the fork of the 8 m unit telescope of Paranal for the European Southern Observatory.
The aims of the study were:
- to provide a rigid interface (Eigen frequency as high as possible) between the base and the tube;
- to reduce the level of the altitude axis;
- to bring the total weight of the telescope unit to a minimum.
The AMOS study arrived at the following values:
- mass of the fork: 87 t (150 t less than a classical solution)
- first Eigen frequency at 9 Hz
- level of the altitude axis: 6.7 m above the base level
These characteristics were obtained with a double concentric circular azimuth track.
Overall fork dimensions:
- Length: 24 m
- Width: 8.1 m
- Height (bearings included): 8.25 m
ON FOCUS - Diamond TurningAdvanced Mechanical and Optical Systems (AMOS) manufactures small optical pieces by diamond turning mainly for infrared applications but also, after post polishing, for visible or ultraviolet. Concave or convex mirrors up to 500mm can be machined with extreme asphericities....
Press Release - AMOS ships the biggest eye on the sun to Hawaii
AMOS certified for the 2015 version of the ISO 9001 standard
Mt ABU - M1 & M2 Mirror blank delivery at AMOS
AMOS passed an important milestone in the Mount Abu telescope project. This project, started last year, consists in the building of a brand-new optical telescope for India. The telescope will have an...