VERY LARGE TELESCOPE FORK STUDY
AMOS has studied the fork of the 8 m unit telescope of Paranal for the European Southern Observatory.
The aims of the study were:
- to provide a rigid interface (Eigen frequency as high as possible) between the base and the tube;
- to reduce the level of the altitude axis;
- to bring the total weight of the telescope unit to a minimum.
The AMOS study arrived at the following values:
- mass of the fork: 87 t (150 t less than a classical solution)
- first Eigen frequency at 9 Hz
- level of the altitude axis: 6.7 m above the base level
These characteristics were obtained with a double concentric circular azimuth track.
Overall fork dimensions:
- Length: 24 m
- Width: 8.1 m
- Height (bearings included): 8.25 m
ON FOCUS - Diamond TurningAdvanced Mechanical and Optical Systems (AMOS) manufactures small optical pieces by diamond turning mainly for infrared applications but also, after post polishing, for visible or ultraviolet. Concave or convex mirrors up to 500mm can be machined with extreme asphericities....
Press release - Sentinel 2B - March 2017
Sentinel 2B: Belgian know-how soon in orbit to protect and serve the people
« Really Sharp » are the first words that came up after viewing the first pictures !
Press Release - Juno - Sept 2016
Juno spacecraft: AMOS’ mirrors in orbit around Jupiter